Web/Template Development Intern
About the opportunity
We want to hire exceptional developing talent and outside the box thinkers to give you valuable experience while growing the Outfit brand.
Exceptional means you have a keen design eye, are a stickler for detail (for both design elements and coded elements), are always thinking 'user' first and aren't afraid to challenge current norms.
Interns selected for the program will be expected to work a minimum of one (1) day per week for a minimum three (3) month period. It is preferable that interns work 2-3 days a week, around their TAFE study, to be able to deliver projects efficiently.
In this web/template development role, you will be responsible for producing templates for Outfit's internal brands, as well as for our wider clientele in response to development briefs and timelines.
In this web/template development role, you will work as a member of the Design team and work closely with the App Development to re-think existing processes and tools for the template development stack.
This position reports to the Head of Design.
- You are a forward thinking designer/developer with a passion for web/app design, user experience and how these disciplines co-exist
- You are constantly interested in the inner workings of web technology and how others solve complex problems with simple solutions
- You are friendly and personable and appreciate the importance of building strong relationships with your co-workers
- You are open to share personal projects and seek advise and critique from those around you.
- You are intrepid and will endeavour to find a better (quicker) way to get a job done.
- You’re a bit of a tech nerd and get excited about using technology to solve and streamline business challenges
- You'll be as committed to excellence as the rest of the team
- A strong understanding JS and a basic understanding of JSX languages (ie. React)
- Experience in completing web projects from initial design conceptualisation, through to final deployment (and beyond)
- Tertiary education or experience in graphic design
- Produce high quality HTML/CSS/JS solutions to complex problems for the following:
- Develop and produce on-brand templates for a wide range of clientele, meeting the requirements of a brief within the required timeframes
- Produce high quality, in-depth template scopes for both clients and auxiliary Outfit teams.
- Liaise with the internal Design Team on the template development feedback process
- Through the use of project management skills, liaise and brief in templates to a range of remote template developers around the world
- Improve and maintain the Template Utilities Library
- Collaborate with the Design and Development teams on a range of design tasks for the Application
Success factors for the role
Within the context of the role described above, the ideal applicant will be someone who has the following key attributes:
- Web design experience producing functional and interesting solutions to complex content structures
- Ability to re-think and interrogate existing toolsets to increase efficiency and productivity for the team
- Ability to collaborate within a team development environment and successfully justify development decisions to the team
- A solid understanding of the web design/development development and review process
- Ability to display flexibility and responsiveness and has the initiative, attitude and ability to thrive within a dynamic, challenging and changing environment
- Ability to manage time and tasks while working and studying part-time to complete projects for Outfit and achieve success in TAFE environment
- Ability to work in isolation or as part of a small team
Mandatory qualifications and requirements
Demonstrated experience in web development projects (including the demonstration of HTML,CSS, JS)
- Medium-level proficiency in HTML and CSS to produce website/web apps
- Medium-level proficiency in JS and the ability to write simple JS functions and implement a range of pre-existing JS libraries.
- Medium to high-level proficiency in Adobe Creative Cloud, particularly Illustrator and InDesign
- Medium-level proficiency in web design and designing for the web
- Medium level proficiency in applying Brand Guidelines to solutions
- Medium level proficiency in G-Suite
- Medium level proficiency in project management and delivery
- Experience in delivering solutions to brief
Success in this role will be determined by:
- Successful delivery of HTML/CSS/JS templates for Outfit clients in accordance with the brief and timeline that are set.
- Design and development of tools to improve the template development and branding eco-system of Outfit (eg. Design system generator, build tools)
- Development of conversion features for the website (eg. ROI Calculator)
Key Selection Criteria
The panel will select the most suitable applicant for the intern role, based on the following:
- Demonstrated web development skill, especially in regard to a high proficiency in HTML/CSS, evidenced through a web based portfolio (portfolio website)
- Excellent practical understanding of design/development principles to provide strong creative solutions to briefs
- Demonstrated delivery of solutions within timeframe and budget