Design and Illustration Intern
About the opportunity
Outfit believes in supporting emerging talent in the design and technology sectors and to this end have developed a paid internship program.
We want to hire exceptional developing talent to give you valuable experience while growing the Outfit brand.
Exceptional means you have a stunning eye for design, understand the framework of a commercial enterprise and add value to every element you produce.
Interns selected for the program will be expected to work a minimum of one (1) day per week for a minimum three (3) month period. It is preferable that interns work 2-3 days a week to be able to deliver projects efficiently.
In this design and illustration role, you will be responsible for producing illustration and collateral in response to marketing briefs.
In this design and illustration role, you will work as a member of the Marketing team and work closely with the Design team to provide in-house design and illustration solutions for website, publications and digital collateral for a commercialised business environment.
This position reports to the Head of Marketing.
- You are an energetic and keen designer with a passion for illustration and design, with the aim of moving people to a greater engagement with the Outfit brand
- You have a natural mind for messaging hierarchy and understand how design elements complement the marketing message
- You are friendly and personable and appreciate the importance of building strong relationships with your co-workers
- You’re a bit of a tech nerd and get excited about using technology to solve and streamline business challenges
- You’re an organised, communication-driven wizard with the ability to adapt to change at speed
- You'll be as committed to excellence as the rest of the team
- A love of all things design with a strong illustration portfolio
- Basic understanding of HTML and CSS
- Tertiary education or experience in business, marketing, advertising or, PR
- Contribute to the success of Outfit by promoting and modelling the company values
- Produce high-quality design work, meeting the requirements of a brief within required timeframes and adhering to the Brand Guidelines
- Liaise with marketing staff, designers and other stakeholders on the design requirements of website, publications and promotional material
- Update and build out the Brand Guidelines where appropriate to quanitfy brand extension
- Apply project management skills to deliver quality output on multiple projects in a fast-paced environment and within tight timeframes
- Work as an integral part of the team to provide creative and original input into the development of design ideas and solutions
- Support and advise project managers, when needed, on design and illustration solutions
- Use and maintain the Asset Library to ensure current assets are used and recorded correctly
- Develop and maintain an understanding of the marketing impacts of design work, including business performance and impact from external factors
Success factors for the role
Within the context of the role described above, the ideal applicant will be someone who has the following key attributes:
- Graphic design experience producing creative solutions, concepts and designs
- Ability to build an understanding of the alignment of design with organisational goals in a commercial business environment
- Ability to work as part of a team and demonstrate an ability to engage stakeholders
- Well developed communication skills, both interpersonal and written, and the ability to provide service to a commercial business
- Ability to display flexibility and responsiveness and has the initiative, attitude and ability to thrive within a dynamic, challenging and changing environment
- Ability to manage time and tasks while working and studying part-time
- Ability to work in isolation or as part of a small team
- A solid understanding of the marketing production process for print and online marketing materials
Mandatory qualifications and requirements
Demonstrated experience in Adobe Creative Cloud
- Medium to high-level proficiency in Adobe Creative Cloud, particularly Illustrator and InDesign
- High-level proficiency in illustration and illustration components to produce a scalable brand style
- Medium level proficiency in applying Brand Guidelines to solutions
- Medium level proficiency in social media design framework
- Medium level proficiency in G-Suite
- Medium level proficiency in project management and delivery
- Experience in delivering solutions to brief
Success in this role will be determined by:
- Development of illustration design system, in line with the Outfit Brand Guidelines, to change the game for how quickly our prospective clients understand what we do and make it easier for us to
- Successful delivery of illustrations for website content
- Design and development of hero, spot hero and iconography in response to brief
- Design of marketing collateral in response to brief
Key Selection Criteria
The panel will select the most suitable applicant for the intern role, based on the following:
- Demonstrated illustration skill in a digital environment, evidenced through portfolio presentation
- Excellent practical understanding of design principles to provide strong creative solutions to briefs
- Strong communication and presentation skills with a proven ability to effectively contribute to diverse stakeholder relationships, and influence outcomes
- Demonstrated delivery of solutions within timeframe and budget